Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Our Behind The Scenes Fear Of Change

Hello. I have been unusually proactive recently. I have been taking many new steps and venturing beyond my comfort zones. Bravo!

In many respects this is good news. I love that I am doing this. Yet, for part of my psyche it is "bad news." Being productive has impact. My life starts to change.

Change! When I am really honest with myself, I see places inside that really don't want my life to change. I want to "be right" in my previous limitations.

Here is one example. I put an ad out on Craigslist yesterday for something that would really help my life move forward. Great, I said to myself. Yet, the only problem with my taking that action step has been that people have started to respond!

"Oh my God, I am not sure I want that. I do not want to move forward, I don't want to step out of the life I am so used to."

Another example: Years ago, when I was first starting my coaching practice, I went to a networking meeting and presented my work quite eloquently.

This felt great until...until a woman came up to me and was actually interested in my work. I didn't want to have to deal with that. I wanted to keep my small little life and keep on scrubbing boats at a local marina.

As we take more and more steps to be productive, I see that we need to grow bigger inside to be able to surf with the results of that productivity.

How can we work with the part of ourselves that holds fiercely to the opinion that "Change sucks"?

I would love to hear your thoughts on how you work with your fear of change, and how you navigate the stretch of growing yourself bigger.

Thanks,
Bruce

No comments: